Saturday, February 1, 2014

Siam Riep to Bangkok, Sukothai, and back

And on to Thailand.


Leaving Siem Reap, I stopped in Sisophon where I happened to wander into the same guesthouse where another american cyclist, Josh, was staying. Apparently we had both been in Dalat, Saigon, and Siem Reap at about the same time. I rode with him for the next few days and we stayed with a Thai guy north of Bangkok whom Josh had met earlier before leaving Thailand to do a loop around Southeast Asia.

I spent a few days in Bangkok, which includes the royal palace, and a bunch of wats





The best part about Bangkok and the rest of Thailand is that people generally don't honk, and actually drive better than many Americans. I couldn't believe my ears at first. I could almost believe I'm not in Asia anymore.

Leaving Bangkok I went north to Ayutthaya, which also has tons of Wats.




It's also home to the famous Buddha head in a tree:


Then it was a few days to Sukothai, which has even more wats, but these ones have more Buddhas in them.




And just north of Sukothai is Si Satchanalai park, which has even more wats. I thought this park was a lot nicer because there were less people, less tour groups, and it had more trees. Also it hasn't been as heavily restored.




Since the ride north hadn't been too interesting I decided to take a bus back to Bangkok rather than ride the same road twice, so I'm now about to head south towards Malaysia. Also, as of yesterday, I have been outside the US for one year. I ate a big mac in honor of the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment