Thursday, February 14, 2013

More on Isle of Skye

Spent two more days on the Isle of Skye. Tuesday was decent, with even a bit of tailwind. Wednesday and Thursday I paid for that though. Tuesday I went from Broadford through Portree, then hiked up the Storr, and even had enough light and energy to make it to Staffin, where I stayed in a campsite that was of course closed for winter like half of Scotland. Good news for me though because I didn't have to pay since no one was there and none of the facilities were open.

Looking down into Portree with the cliffs of the Storr in the background:
Looking up at the cliffs from closer:
It was cold and windy at the top:
For the second time while camping in Scotland, around midnight, a strong wind blew in and did its best to take down my tent. It was then I realized that the slight tailwind I had coming north up the peninsula had turned into a raging gale still pushing northeast, meaning I was going to face it while trying to get off the island. I had planned to hike again, up the back of the Quirang, but I figured I wouldn't see much and I was already soaked so decided to skip it. I did ride up to the start though, over the hill, and across to the Atlantic side of Trotternish. Here the headwind strengthened, and I was having trouble even standing, with the rain hitting me hard enough to hurt. Somehow, even with wearing waterproof everything I was still able to wring out my clothes when I stopped at a hostel in Portree.

The Quirang:
Looking back at Staffin. I wasn't expecting the view to improve much with a 6 mile hike.

Finally, went from Portree back to Kyle of Lochalsh and took the train back to Inverness where I'm now staying in another hostel. Tomorrow I will probably check out Fort George before heading south to Stirling and then leaving Scotland. I am looking forward to a day where I don't have to wear my raincoat.

No comments:

Post a Comment