Monday, February 25, 2013

York to Cambridge

So I spent the last 4 days in the flattest part of England, which was nice for a change. The national cycle routes were also reasonable, so I made great time. Four days of mostly cycling through English farmland. It was a bit harder to find a decent place to camp since some fields are completely torn up and muddy and others have crops coming in.

York to camping just outside Hull - 50 miles
Outside Hull to just east of Lincoln - 60 miles
East of Lincoln to south of Boston - 50 miles
South of Boston to Cambridge - 70 miles

To start, I spent some time in York, saw Clifford's tower, which is a sort of turret raised on a hill in the middle of town.
I took a walk along the old city walls:
Then I went to look at the York cathedral.
They wanted $15 just to walk around inside, which after having seen tons of other churches and cathedrals (for free) I didn't feel like paying, so I left York to continue south. A few miles later and the national cycle route took me right into Selby, a town I'd never heard of and of course they have a cathedral, and of course it's free to enter, so in I go.
They didn't even seem to care if I took pictures inside:

I guess this cathedral's claim to fame is the Washington window which supposedly served as some inspiration for the american flag:
Next day and I made it to Lincoln. Oh man, they have a cathedral too? And it's free? Stop the presses, another old church found in England.


The castle was closed since I arrived late into town, and since there were no hostels or hosts that I had found, I rode out of town to find a place to camp.

The next day I made it to Boston, and they also have a cathedral.
I didn't stay in town, but I did find it odd when arriving many signs had Russian translations, and in the hour or so I was in town I heard quite a few people speaking what seemed to be Russian. I left town and continued south to make my next day's journey into Cambridge shorter.

Arriving in Ely around 3, I saw yet another Cathedral (they're really hard to miss), and I tried to see Oliver Cromwell's house, but they were of course closed by the time I was there at 4.



There being nothing else worth seeing in English Farming country, I continued on to Cambridge where I am staying with a host before heading to London in two days.





No comments:

Post a Comment